I like to solve problems. At this point in my life, I’m focused on solving the fundamental problems of Web design and development through my business, DIYthemes, and my software, Thesis.

One of the most compelling things I’ve learned in the past year, however, is that it’s not good enough to crank out “sufficient” solutions to problems. Truly sustainable answers require a style of thinking that involves patience, perspective, skill, testing, and unbiased criticism. Additionally, it’s crucial to realize that the best solutions we can generate should be reflective of our own human nature—in other words, we must strive to make them as adaptable as we are.

Through my work on Thesis, I’ve begun to see all sorts of new connections that reveal the direction the Web is heading, and I know that I can use these insights to figure out better solutions to the problems I’m already tackling.

Recently, I sat down with Nick Reese from Art of Blog to talk about some of these insights and to share my thoughts heading into 2010. You can check out the original interview on Nick’s site, or you can click here to watch the video in HD on Pearsonified :D

Matt Langford January 29, 2010

Wow! Love the HUGE video! Terrific idea.

Brendan Wenzel January 29, 2010

Your work shows that you are ahead of the curve when it comes to seeing where the web is heading and this post just solidifies that.

This is such a great quote that shows you know where you are going and proves that you are a leader: “Truly sustainable answers require a style of thinking that involves patience, perspective, skill, testing, and unbiased criticism”

Thank you for providing us with such great value.
Brendan

Brendan Wenzel January 29, 2010

P.S. I’m extremely excited to see 2.0 and this has now been bookmarked on all the major services. Keep up the great work!!

Chris Pearson January 29, 2010

Thanks, dude!

Stijn January 29, 2010

1. The25th has gone and passed. Anything in the pipeline? 1.7 or 2.0? No pressure, just curious and wondering.

2. About that communication. A few days ago I mentioned to you via twitter that the diythemes.com blog needs to get updated because the last post was from October. I noticed you did something about that. But in stead of updating it, you removed the dates. That’s just sneaky, Chris. :P

Chris Pearson January 29, 2010

January has been a busy month, and I’ve been working on this site since I returned home from two straight weeks of traveling and attending conferences. The good news is that working on this (or any) site teaches me more and more about what Thesis needs, and more generally, how to build a badass website.

Over the last two weeks, I’ve learned quite a few things that I’m going to use to refine Thesis. The hardest part about releasing a new version and incorporating new ideas is deciding where to draw the line—with all the new stuff floating around in my head, I could justify developing a beta version for months on end!

Of course, that doesn’t translate well to running a commercial software product like Thesis, so I’ve got to sit down over the next couple of weeks and decide what makes sense to release now and what I should hold back for 2.0.

That said, I’m planning on releasing 1.7 as soon as possible (primarily to encourage people to share their Design Options files), and then I’ll be concentrating on 2.0 immediately afterward. Between the stuff going on here and at DIYthemes, you’ll have a lot to look forward to over the next few months!

Stijn January 29, 2010

Thank you for taking your time to reply. I really appreciate that. I was not considering abandoning Thesis for something else (it would only be a step back), but 2.0 had seemed like it was going the same way as Cosmo. Take your time to make up your mind. I’m sure it’ll blow the competition right out of the water, again.

Mark Macdonald January 29, 2010

The Thesis options panels, in-post options and the custom file editor make the Thesis/Wordpress experience totally different from the regular Wordpress experience.

How far do you think this can be extended? Do you think eventually there will be “more” Thesis than there is Wordpress? Is that even possible?

In other words, developing your own version of Wordpress entirely? Or even your own CMS?

I’m not a developer and I have no idea about what’s involved in creating a CMS like Wordpress but obviously you’re concerned with making the platform better. At what point do you just say screw it and build your own?

PS. Huge vid is pretty cool, I like the recent site tweaks.

Chris Pearson January 29, 2010

You’ve raised some really valid points here, Mark. To be honest, I don’t like the WordPress interface because it’s damn confusing to n00bs, and I don’t feel like the whole thing makes cohesive sense. Furthermore, Thesis has grown to the point that some of WordPress’ shortcomings are now getting in the way of what I believe are the best solutions to certain problems.

Ultimately, I can’t let anything stand between me and the right answer, so there’s a good chance that Thesis will break away at some point in the future. Regardless, I’m still going to maintain a WordPress-compatible version of Thesis, as some folks are irrevocably tied to the platform.

Mitch January 29, 2010

I love the site design and the size of the video. I had to watch it twice.

Russell January 30, 2010

A very interesting view of 2010

No mention of Wordpress 3.0 in the video, is Thesis 2.0 going to wait for 3.0?

One thing you gotta fix is not calling custom_functions.php on the admin site (break out custom_admin_functions.php if need be). It kills clients having to go back to FTP whenever they put a typo in custom functions.

Thesis teaser handling is brilliant apart form two things – 1) Thesis should still be capable of generating thumbnails when images are hosted off server such as Amazon S3/ Flickr, etc, and 2) allow a flexible number of teasers per row

Re your Twitter alternative, is your issue about the legal ownership of the tweets or about the publishing/delivery mechanism?

What are your views on other sharing sites like Flickr, Picasa, YouTube?

Or does your statement just apply to Twitter because of its minimal data storage?

Chris Pearson January 30, 2010

Russell, Thesis 2.0 isn’t dependent on the WordPress timeline at all; it’s just a matter of me putting together the pieces and making sure I nail the mission-critical tasks.

As far as the custom_functions.php file is concerned, there’s no way for me to provide editing capabilities without calling the file. That said, however, I do need to figure out a caching/autosave feature to make it so that if there is a problem with someone’s syntax, they’ll be able to revert to a working version with the click of a button.

With teasers, I am totally with you on the number of teasers per row, and you’re right—I need to figure out a solution for images that are hosted off-site. I know that a couple of Thesis users have solved this problem for their own purposes, but I can’t say whether or not their solutions are suitable for the masses.

Regarding Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, etc., the whole issue is content ownership and overall efficacy. I think everything I do should expand my presence online (in the search engines and on my life’s database as well), and the only way that’s going to happen is if I own and publish all of my own stuff. Obviously, images and videos present unique challenges due to the storage space required, but like everything else, this is a solvable problem.

Armen January 30, 2010

Re owning all your own content…, you, sir, are on my wavelength.

I’ve never liked that facebook, twitter, et al, own my stuff. I wouldn’t mind forwarding it to them, but I’d like to have it all selectively filtered from my own domain.

King Sidharth January 30, 2010

With new Do-it-ursefl themes coming in market (headway and all) I am really expecting a cutting edge development of Thesis. Why not share the new ideas (that are floating in your head) about 1.7 and 2.0 ver of Thesis?
I know that too many cooks spoil the broth but then it’s always good to have a choice.
Ah! maybe… you know what? forget it! Don’t tell us! We will give more options – same thing you are suffering from. So stick with what you think and we will love it as we always do.
Cheers.

Chris Pearson January 30, 2010

The biggest add-on in 1.7 is going to be the save/restore capability within the options panels, but there will be some new SEO controls as well. The most requested SEO feature for this version is the ability to add custom <title> tags to tag pages, so you can definitely expect to see that.

Also, I went through every theme file and updated the way strings are coded up for internationalization, so that ought to help the broader audience refine the way they interact with Thesis, too.

Last, thanks for the good word!

Russell January 30, 2010

Chris, thanks for your answers above.

Re: the custom_functions.php, then a ‘restore last good file’ facility would be really useful.

I did not understand your statement “As far as the custom_functions.php file is concerned, there’s no way for me to provide editing capabilities without calling the file.”, I thought that something as simple as changing functions.php would make it easy for Thesis users to fix a broken custom_functions.php file as the admin site would still operate even if the main site fails

if (! is_admin() && file_exists(THESIS_CUSTOM . ‘/custom_functions.php’))
include(THESIS_CUSTOM . ‘/custom_functions.php’);

On the Social Media question you said “I think everything I do should expand my presence online (in the search engines and on my life’s database as well), and the only way that’s going to happen is if I own and publish all of my own stuff. “, I agree about the ownership but not about the publishing.

I am more than happy if others republish any of my work, whether than be retweeting, RSS, or re-spinning my articles (as long as I get a credit)

Erin January 31, 2010

I recently purchased Thesis on January 18th and have been unable to login and download the theme because I miss-typed my email address when I registered. Stupid I know….

The email used to pay for it was mike at fancyfortunecookies dot com

The email I registered under – mistakenly – is erin at fancyfortunecookes dot com

I cannot login or download the theme which I paid for as a result. Can you please help!?!?

Thank you!
Erin

Chris Pearson February 1, 2010

Erin, your registration details were sent to the email address you’ve provided here (the one starting with “erin”); if that’s an active email address, then your account should work. The email address that you provided when you registered has no bearing on whether or not you can log in, so it looks to me like you should be good to go…

Stephen Hamilton January 31, 2010

I was very interested in your thoughts about Twitter. You’re probably aware of it, but have you seen Dave Winer’s project that addresses a similar issue? It looks interesting.

I’m also very interested in your comment above that Thesis may soon be independent of Wordpress—am I to assume you envisage developing Thesis to the point it is a fully funtional CMS in its own right?

Lastly, I thought I’d share this video I found very informative. In it Seth Godin addresses the need to ship products by a deadline. I thought the way he describes his ideal production schedule, leading to shipping dates getting met was simple, obvious, but something I can certainly implement.

Chris Pearson February 3, 2010

Stephen, I’ve seen Dave’s project, but honestly, I think RSS is a little too nerdy for mass consumption. That said, I do think leveraging the XML format is going to be crucial for building social, interactive Web applications that will “change the game” in the future.

As far as developing Thesis into its own CMS goes, we’ll have to see. WordPress and other leading CMS platforms have become large pieces of software, and I’m actually leaning the other direction—I want something small, fleet, agile, and simple.

Finally, thanks for the link to Seth’s video! He’s always good for some thought fodder :D

Loquogirl February 2, 2010

I’m totally agree, patience is really necessary. the DIYthemes look really good. i will check the videos.

Cheers!

Kevin February 3, 2010

I see that you are utilizing the threaded format for comments. What led to the change?

Chris Pearson February 3, 2010

Kevin, by default, Thesis leverages the WordPress threaded comment system and also offers some pretty cool functionality in this arena. Since I recently ported this site over to Thesis, I decided that I’d try my hand at integrating this feature into the reworked design.

After a couple of weeks of using it, I’ve decided that I really like being able to respond to people in a more direct manner. The comment flow makes more sense now, and I also like the design conceit of using big avatars for original comments and smaller avatars for replies.

In the past, the main thing keeping me from implementing threaded comments was the fact that they generally bring about more visual clutter. To solve this problem, I came up with some simple interface tweaks that not only make sense from a usability standpoint, but also clean up the “look” of threaded comments.

For example, when you mouse over the body of a comment, you’ll notice a “reply” link that pops up in the lower right corner of that comment. Also, I built in some pop-up edit links as well (only visible to me), and these allow me to manage comments quickly and easily while reading through them!

Matt Langford April 1, 2010

Chris, any chance we can get a screenshot or code snippets for what you did with the edit links? You make it sound so fun! Thanks!

Kenneth February 4, 2010

Then does this mean that you will be releasing a design of Pearsonified.com as a WordPress Theme?

I’m very impressed by it’s design and am looking forward for the release.

Please reply. Thanks.

Chris Pearson February 4, 2010

Kenneth, I am going to release something similar to this as a Thesis skin, but not until after I drop version 2.0. There are lots of possibilities with a design like this, and I’m going to have to build a control panel that will help users harness the potential in an easy, manageable way.

Kenneth February 5, 2010

Thanks for your reply.

So I see you are releasing it as a Thesis skin after release of Thesis 2.0. Nice.

Then where is Pearsonified.com going? Are you thinking of a new unique design for your site once this design is publicly released? Just curious and want to know your opinion.

Bob February 5, 2010

Awesome video. I’m excited to see how Thesis continues to evolve. Specially with your consciousness of the value of keeping custom designs within the reach of noobs (like me) .

My real estate sites look great and my clients are impressed with my ability to create such a compelling and engaging site to help the learn about Evergreen and real estate in general. Whereas in the past a blog might only reveal opinions– Thesis has allowed me to create a whole resource for Buyers and Sellers without linking to some other web site for (conversion).

By the way the forums are awesome too!

Thanks for everything.

Lawrence February 10, 2010

Chris, from my decidely amateur persepctive, it seems that Studiopress and iThemes have just caught up with where Thesis has been all along with their Frameworks and Child Themes. Having said that – and as a Thesis lover – when I’m building sites, I find them easier to work with than the hooks (which I can’t get my head around cos I’m a code Philistine!). Is there any way of building in a ‘Thesis customisation for morons’ function that would get round that for those of us who don’t have to do the ultimate beells and whistles, but would still allow significant customisation (beyond the awesome stuff there!) capabilities?

David February 10, 2010

Hi, I really want to get the developer’s option version of Thesis for redesigning my wife’s company’s website, but had a few questions.

Where’s the best place to ask some questions about Thesis to see if it is a good fit for me?

Chris Pearson February 10, 2010

David, feel free to ask your questions right here, but do keep in mind that we have a 30-day money back guarantee. If the purpose of your wife’s company’s website is to provide exposure on the Web, then Thesis is the perfect choice. No framework ranks better in search engines, is more reliable, or more flexible.

David February 11, 2010

Thanks Chris. Here are my questions:

-Is Thesis just for blog sites? (wife’s company is a guest ranch in Colorado and they would have a blog page, but the bulk of the site and home page would be descriptive,static webpages)

-How flexible is image manipulation? (I wanted to have several different images on the home page that act as silos that click through to the 5 main services the ranch provides…much like Hugh Macleod’s site http://gapingvoid.com/)

-How customizable are the fonts? (can we use custom fonts)

-Can I embed reservation tools, surveys, videos etc.? (I’m an amateur at this stuff…apologize if this is super basic, obvious question)

-Why do some of the showcase sites using Thesis start with the “www.” and some don’t? Is that a wordpress thing?

Basically I need to create a traditional website that is heavy on imagery, especially the home page, that silos people to where they need to go to learn more and hopefully book a trip or ask more questions.

Thanks in advance. I’ll most likely get the cost of thesis approved and do the 30 day trial, but these were some core questions I had before moving forward.

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010
  • Thesis is for any content site—in other words, it doesn’t matter if you have a blog on the site or not. No matter what kind of content you’ve got, Thesis is optimized to run it in an efficient, effective manner that search engines love.
  • Image manipulation is pretty flexible; you can assign both a post image and a thumbnail to every post and/or page of your site. By default, these images are linked on your home page if you choose to display them. Also, as Thesis evolves, you’ll be able to use these same images in more creative and flexible ways.
  • Fonts are infinitely customizable. You can choose from the list of available fonts within Thesis, or you can write a simple custom CSS declaration to serve whatever font you want. If you need help with a task like this, you can get a quick, accurate answer in our forums.
  • You can embed anything you want, but do keep in mind that certain things may require some stylistic tweaking if you want them to display just right (this is the nature of the beast—I can’t possibly account for all the stuff you might want to throw in there).
  • The “www” prefix on URLs is a holdover from a bygone era, and it is no longer necessary on the Web. While it’s not tied to WordPress specifically, you can avoid having the “www” on your site by making sure that it does not appear in the WordPress Address URL field on the WordPress Settings page.

Michael Aulia February 10, 2010

Just got an email about Thesis 1.7. Although I’m more excited in Thesis 2.0, a newer and better version is always welcomed :D Just bought Thesis 2 months ago for my tech blog and already loving it :)

marcelino February 10, 2010

My apologies, satire is my game.

Just received the email for the pending release of the Thesis Theme 1.7, at the very moment, when I believed that I knew what I was doing with the 1.6 version. thanks alot <:)

Nothing wrong with keeping me on my toes. nevertheless, could not be more happy at the moment with the current version and still have a bit of adventure left to look fwd for the new version.

Video is over the top in the awesome department! Show Off!

Tim February 10, 2010

Hello,
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask my questions, but here goes. I enjoy your theme. My problem is how do I make my site look similar to what you have done. I went through the articles on adding header graphics, etc. They were not that clear to me. Do you have any videos or step-by-step directions on how to add headers and more. To be honest, this has been the only thing stopping me from upgrading my license and converting all of my sites to Thesis.
Another question that I did not find an answer to. With thesis, do you need to add any SEO plug ins or is the theme fine out of the box. Thanks!
Tim

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

Tim, have you tried asking any of your questions in the forums? Not only will you receive direction, but you’ll also find people who are willing to take a look at your site and help you through just about any implementation you can think of. Headers, nav menus, etc. are hot topics all the time, and there’s a ton of information and resources on them. For your header question, check out this clickable header image generator for Thesis.

Regarding SEO, Thesis is ready to rock out of the box, and you won’t need any plugins!

Rob February 10, 2010

I’ve been a user since the beginning and we use Thesis for just about everything from blogs, squeeze pages, websites, membership websites, affiliate sites, this, that, and more.

Heck, if you had a paper version of Thesis, I’d make sure my wife used it to write down the grocery shopping list.

Great to hear you’re going to be pushing Thesis hard in 2010.

Looking forward to diving into 1.7!

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

Haha, sweet! Thanks, Rob.

Anne Moss February 10, 2010

Cool interview- you are much younger than I had thought. Or maybe you just look younger, in which case, what’s your secret?

With the important thing out of the way – I really think you should add an easy way for those of us who bought the multi-site version to remove the thesis link at the bottom. I was pretty amazed to find out I’m supposed to hack through the code to do that or, what I ended up doing, install a plugin…

Hesham @ FamousBloggers February 11, 2010

This is wonderful news Chris, I can not wait until I put my hands on the beta version! thanks a lot for the hard work you and your team have done!

Paul February 11, 2010

Thanks for the interview. Look forward to the update. Just one question though, which has come up ever since I started using Thesis, and the video here reminded me of it.

In quite a few Thesis made sites I see (using Firefox) some video or image elements are pushed out to the right hand side of the content box. The same is true here. The video at the top is pushed about 100px into the grey background. I have seen this in columns of text where the images are pushing out into the next column, covering the text. Its not to do with the view being zoomed either. Any thoughts?

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

Paul, something’s got to be up with your browser settings, because Thesis renders like a champ on every browser under the sun (I am maniacal about this sort of thing). If you’ve changed your default font size away from 16, then that’s the issue. About 0.2% of Internet users are in the habit of doing this (most folks go smaller to 13 or 14), and what you’ve described is right up this alley.

While you technically aren’t “zoomed,” you’ve basically affected the mathematics of the entire layout by changing your font size away from the browser default.

PIF February 11, 2010

Thanks for your hard work.

I’ve been using your theme Neoclassical for years. When I finally purchaced Thesis, it was only somewhat difficult to recreate the same look with Custom CSS. What I had hoped Thesis would be able to achieve, which I could not figure out using Neoclassical, was a consistant look across browsers. Thesis came through. Thanks.

One of the biggest problem WP has (IMHO) is (when moving to a new server or reinstalling WP), the WP media library can see only the images posted in the new install (older images are effectively invisible). To reuse an old image one has to find the old post using that image and then copy the address into the new post.

I’ve asked various WP people if they ever plan to address this problem as I see it. They either replied in the negative or ignored answering. Is there any plan to put some sort of media library into Thesis – one which would scan the site’s entire db of images and make them available?

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

PIF, I really dislike the way WordPress handles images, and for the reasons you’ve described, I don’t use that feature on any of my sites. Eventually, Thesis is going to contain functionality that will handle all of your images, and then you simply won’t have to deal with WordPress’ shortcomings. At this point, I can’t say when this will be included in the Thesis core, but I think we’ll probably see it by or before version 2.1 (but who knows when that will be!).

PIF February 11, 2010

Great!! Time flies when we are having fun!

Keith Baxter February 11, 2010

Damn dude, you should create a post on how you setup Thesis with this video on top… freakin’ cool!

Keith

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

Heh, it’s funny you should mention that, Keith. I am actually totally unhappy with what I had to do to get that video to show up in the top box, and I’m going to have to rewrite some of the Multimedia Box to get the functionality I want. This will make it into a forthcoming release of Thesis, and then I’ll show you how to do it!

Russell February 11, 2010

Hi PIF,

I don’t use the Wordpress Media Library at all: instead I host all images and videos off the blog server on Amazon S3.

This means moving a Thesis blog is dead easy as it involves moving only 3 parts; the Wordpress database, the wp-config.php file and the Thesis custom folder.

Plus there is also the benefit of much better performance by hosting images on Amazon S3 rather than a shared server.

I would love it if Thesis post images and thumbnails would work with a remote off server media library. Maybe all Thesis needs to hold is the metadata about the images, and maybe also thumbnails held in a local cache – that would be a really neat solution! With this approach the media gallery is local when running as administrator, but the media gallery is running of Amazon S3 when the site is being accessed by visitors.

PIF February 11, 2010

Russell,
Thanks for that but AZ is not a free service plus I really do not see why one has to go outside of WP to find a solution which sould be built in.

PIF February 11, 2010

Since I began using thesie, my server error log continues to report this thesis related error:

[08-Feb-2010 00:56:50] PHP Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /(site address)/wp-content/themes/thesis_16/lib/functions/document.php on line 36

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

PIF, that’s a really strange error, as it should only be occurring on category archive pages that contain faulty code inside the description box (which you can access from the Edit Category page in the WordPress back end). The thing is, it doesn’t look like you’ve utilized this field at all, so it’s strange that we’d be seeing this error at all.

If the error is happening a lot (like, 280 out of your last 300 errors are this one), then it’s something we should address further. If it’s not, I’d say it’s not something to worry about, as I’ve never seen this before and it seems to be idiosyncratically tied to your site.

PIF February 11, 2010

Since install 129 errors total
13 major Spam Attacks

2 errors: /wp-includes/plugin.php
[03-Feb-2010 12:06:03] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /site address/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 302

37 errors: Thesis
[07-Feb-2010 10:57:10] PHP Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /site address/wp-content/themes/thesis_16/lib/functions/document.php on line 36

38 errors: all-in-one-seo-pack/aioseop.class.php
08-Feb-2010 00:56:50] PHP Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /site address/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/aioseop.class.php on line 706 (All in One disabled today). Now using Thesis “Append site name to page titles”.
This may be the culprit. No errors since 130 pM today. We’ll see…

39 errors: wp-includes/cache.php
[08-Feb-2010 00:56:50] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /site address/wp-includes/cache.php on line 93

Russell February 11, 2010

PIF,

Your point is a valid one. I agree Wordpress should have a better solution.

That said, with Amazon S3 you have a very low monthly cost. On a popular blog, it is a cost saving to have cheap shared hosting for the blog with image and video traffic coming from Amazon S3 compared to having to upgrade to a VPS or even a dedicated server if your want your blog server to cope with all the traffic.

I don’t want to be in a position of having an article get the Digg effect on my blog but having no-one being able to access it because the images can’t be served fast enough off the shared server.

Hence my ‘best of breed approach’: Wordpress for content management; Thesis for SEO, styling and compartmentalized customization; and Amazon S3 (and Flickr) for delivery of higher bandwidth image content.

Feramorz February 11, 2010

I’m new to the blogosphere. A ‘noob’ you might say in search, for over a year, of an elegant solution to build sites for a some to my ideas. Thesis Theme wins! What you have created is fantastic. I thank you.

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

It’s good to have you aboard, Feramorz. Thanks for choosing Thesis!

Adrian Bold February 11, 2010

Great video Chris and looking forward to Thesis 1.7 and beyond. I have to confess to still not being as capable customising it as I wish but feel confident that I have picked the very best theme.

I concur with your comment regarding owning your own content. I’ve always felt that you should save the best for your own domain and it’s good to hear someone like you convey a similar message.

Thanks again and keep doing great things with Thesis.

Chris Pearson February 11, 2010

Adrian, your customization woes are the problem that I am putting Thesis in position to solve. I want to make sure I’ve got the best, most efficient customization solution I can develop, and frankly, it’s a pretty big puzzle involving a lot of major parts that have to work together.

Thesis 2.0 is going to be my answer to this, so you really won’t have to wait too much longer :D

Melvin Ram February 12, 2010

THANK YOU for the headline filter. I really really really needed that. I’ve been using .home .headline_area {display: none;} but that has been super frustrating because it’s not clean.

Melvin Ram February 12, 2010

Question about the headline filter: what will be the php code required to hide the headline/page title?

webworker February 12, 2010

Just received the email about the upgrade. Keep going, Chris, what you’re doing is groundbreaking. You always seem to be two steps ahead of other designers and I’m looking forward to 1.7. I’m really curious, too, about content writing and what Brian Clark’s role will be in this.

In the beginning I was very confused with Thesis and previously paid for customization but got absolutely nothing. But it worked out for me in the end because I kept messing with it and trying different things with the code and Thesis just keeps getting better and better. I’m using Thesis now for all of my websites.

MT February 19, 2010

I am newbiw and don’t know squat about CSS. Is 1.7 will be mouse click friendly to change and or redesign header??

MT February 19, 2010

Hay Dude,
Make header change/redesign with mouse click for newbies without touching CSS crap. Please help the CSS dummies. I hate CSS and I love working with mouse. HELP DUDE…………………………

Gregory Figueroa February 28, 2010

I am using a Windows server on a web host named godaddy.com. This is a very frustrating installation. I tried the support forum not much help even though people tried. Godaddy can’t help me. There should really be a notice to people that windows servers are a pain to change permissions on. I figured I will get in touch with you, Chris, who made Thesis and hopefully I can get some answers.

I got stuck in step 3 of your site’s instructions. On windows servers I can’t set permissions for file like layout.css only folders can be changed and I can’t use numerical attributes. So I created a file within custom folder called layout and stuck the layout file in there. Was that a bad move? I added permissions read and write. For cache I have no execute option and just left it at read and write.

What happens if I can’t add execute to the cache folder? finally, I can only change the permissions of the owner on my godaddys file manager because I couldn’t change permissions on filezilla (ftp client I used). I didn’t see an option to set permissions for owner, group and other in godaddy. Godaddy told me there was nothing they can do.

I am beyond frustrated, I purchased this product four days ago.

My username is gregemily on diythemes.com
I used paypal to pay $87

I want to use the product, but I don’t want to damanage it. Also, is it worth using thesis on a WINDOWS server? I am not paying a switching fee to go to a linux server on godaddy.com, but I am not looking for a Thesis refund untill I exhausted all my options.

Greg

Russell February 28, 2010

Hi Greg,

I know it’s a bit late but you would be better off with Linux shared hosting at Hostgator or Bluehost. Both hosts offer better support.

Thesis works fine on Windows but you need to be able to make changes to the file protection to make the themes/thesis/custom folder writeable.

If GoDaddy can’t help you, all you can do is fire them

Bob March 2, 2010

Ohhh. I just saw that you made a change to the “leave comments”section to Hoot and/or Holler. For my real estate blog I’d like to make it a more customer service kind of thing like: “Questions about Evergreen? Fire Away.” or something like that. Is that an option in 1.7?

Chris Pearson March 10, 2010

It’s not an option, but there is a new filter that is easy to use via your custom_functions.php file. The name of the filter is thesis_comment_form_title, and here’s how you’d use it:

function evergreen_comment_form_title($text) {
    return "Questions about Evergreen? Fire Away.";
}
add_filter('thesis_comment_form_title', 'evergreen_comment_form_title');

And voila! Customized intro text ;)

Joanne March 4, 2010

Chris, I switched my blog from GoDaddy to MidPhase at your recommendation. Since then, I can’t get my thumbnails to show (despite spending at least our hours jumping through hoops from the support forum) and my videos don’t overlay their associated .jpgs.

I’ve posted in the support forum but I’m not getting any help. Did I make a mistake switching to MidPhase, which you now no longer really recommend?

I’ve got a killer blog template (Thesis), but it’s not doing its job and I’m not getting help. I set aside today to upload a bunch of reviews to my blog, but I can’t do anything until this thumbnail issue is fixed.

DJ Morris March 7, 2010

Your wisdom reaches well beyond your years…the first time I saw you I was amazed at how young you were, but I also remember seeing a video of you while typing code and it just flowed from your fingertips. It just amazes me how much you have mastered in such a short time…I’d love to know what you did to become so proficient in code, so fast…by reading the right books or just by practicing?

Dena Tasarım March 9, 2010

Nice. I watched the clip. I hope your predictions for 2010 become real!

Brent Glover March 13, 2010

Great informations. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. To be able to encompass this technology before others can only bring great things.

Melvin Ram March 14, 2010

Any ETA dude? It’s been a month and the anticipation is torture man. I’m starting a redesign of my site tomorrow and I was really hoping that you would have released it by now.

Jonathan March 16, 2010

I can’t find your email anywhere (smart man) so I am posting here. I have been reading around the site while considering a purchase of thesis, but I notice that I’m getting tons of garbage characters from punctuation on your “About” page (for instance). I even made a .pdf to send you so you could see for yourself but alas, I have no idea where to send it. I’m on a Mac, OSX 10.5.8, Safari 4.0.4 . Obviously, I don’t want to buy a theme that will yield the same issues for me.

PS — Firefox 3.6 yields the same garbage characters.

Chris Pearson March 22, 2010

Jonathan, the weird characters that you saw were the result of a recent server move. After moving the databases, I still had to match the character encoding to show the correct characters. I just resolved this earlier today, so you’re seeing the proper stuff now ;)

For the record, Thesis had nothing to do with this issue; it was simply a product of the server move.

Fred Gates March 17, 2010

Dear Chris:

I’m making a very simple blog with the posts page NOT being the main page. For some reason the page that I have the posts on doesn’t display the “current” status (it isn’t in the source code either), making the blog page behave differently on the menu. This is very rough but here it is.

Is this by design or something else? I’d like this link to behave as the others do. Thanks!

Chris Pearson March 19, 2010

Fred, this isn’t the proper place to post questions of this nature. For help with Thesis-related questions, please visit the DIYthemes forums.

Fred Gates March 19, 2010

OK, thanks… will try there.

Martin Bay March 20, 2010

This is a great “theme” watched the tutorial and got Thesis straight away. It up and running on two of my blogs. Its even quite easy to customize. Look forward to 1.7 :)

Dena March 20, 2010

Nice predictions :)

Graphic Design Denver March 25, 2010

I like your ideas about owning your own content, and Thesis seems like an awesome software – theme, SEO and CMS all in one. The huge video rocks!

Marek Mroz March 27, 2010

Hello Chris,

Its nice that you like to solve problems. For the past 2 days i was trying to buy the developers version of Thesis and in the process I have identified several problems that you might want to take on.

First of all, dev version redirects to Paypal, not to the express checkout. I am lost. After trying several times, I tried purchasing the regular version and sure enough, it points to the express checkout login. I am not sure where the problem lies, but I want to get the dev version.

Secondly, I want to buy Thesis, the checkout is failing, what do I do? There is no contact email address on DIYthemes (or I was not able to find it, which either means that I am blind, or that it is well hidden), and support forums are locked unless I purchase the theme (which I have trouble doing). I end up writing a comment on your blog, after googling around for it. I am sure you will agree this is not the best way of handling registration problems. ;)

I decided to go with Thesis and not with Headway or other alternatives mainly because of what I have read about the support forums, the community, etc. It would be great if you could help me resolve this weird checkout issue, so that I can actually buy it and get rolling.

Chris Pearson March 29, 2010

Marek, I had a database problem over the weekend that affected the Developer’s Option, and that’s why you were getting redirected to PayPal instead of the express checkout page. I solved the problem on Saturday afternoon, though, so if you haven’t already purchased the Developer’s Option, you should now be able to do so. Thanks for the heads-up!

Marek Mroz March 29, 2010

Great, I’m going to head over to diythemes and buy the dev option then. Thanks!

Ramses March 29, 2010

So, this is going to be the future? I like your predictions and your path into 2010 and beyond. Thesis is making great progress and obviously you are doing, too (personally).

Jeff Gordon Parker March 31, 2010

Chris!

Man! I love these changes! You are rocking it my brother!

:-)

Chris Agro March 31, 2010

Wow, I just upgraded to thesis_17, install was super simple thanks to your video. I am very excited to start learning the new features. I am jumping in with both feet with WordPress thanks to Thesis! Keep up the great work!!

Jupiter Jim April 3, 2010

I just dowloaded Thesis 1.7 and look forward to learning about and mastering all the controls in it. Thanks for building it.

John Richardson April 4, 2010

I just purchased Thesis for a new site. It looks great. I noticed yesterday when I Googled,”Pearsonified” you site title and description came back with drug related titles and descriptions. The link to your site still worked, but the the names were different on multiple listings. The weird thing is, my blog started returning those same kind of spammy links yesterday in Google. I checked my site and my sitemap and everything looked good on my host. I was wondering if you were aware of the problem and what the fix is. This is driving me nuts.
Thanks,
John

Doug Wilson April 7, 2010

Can’t find a contact link need to ask a quick question about copyblogger.

Wahyu Kodar April 9, 2010

This is my first visit on the web pearsonified .. I was surprised to see the articles on the website pearsonified all very interesting. I need to learn a lot from this website, because I am a new blogger who learned about the website. Please visit my blog to respond to my article about websites and web architects .. Thank you.

Jay May 15, 2010

Awesome website and video concept. Also have to commend you on the fact that you answer so many of the comments in great detail. That’s what social marketing and networking should be about – conversation. When it’s a single-sided broadcast of useless information it seems rather dumb and redundant.

Maggie May 15, 2010

I watched the video and I agree with your take on the problem of having your stuff on twitter and photos on flicker instead of having everything on your site. I look forward watching how you pull it all together in Thesis this year!

Sheila July 30, 2010

I am currently in school for website design. I do not feel confident that I could create a WOW website. If I use Dreamweaver or similar software, I’m sure I can create a decent site. What should I charge for a site at my level?

Sarkari Naukri August 4, 2010

Chris Pearson August 4, 2010

Sarkari, I couldn’t find you anywhere in our customer database. What email address did you use to purchase the theme?

Jeej August 10, 2010

Hi,

This comment is perhaps not the best one to post. I was simply looking to e-mail Chris Pearson. It’s important. How do I make contact directly?

Thanks,
J

Rudi September 1, 2010

You are a lengend dude! legend i tell you!

Riaan September 1, 2010

Chris you developing quite a following…Keep up the inspirational work. You really have something going!

Chris September 4, 2010

Great Chris.. You are doing great. I m really impressed . Thank alot for Thesis..

Davis September 7, 2010

PS — Firefox 3.6 yields the same garbage characters.

Chris Pearson September 7, 2010

Davis, those garbage characters have nothing to do with the theme and everything to do with the encoding of the database on this particular site. I had some problems with hacks earlier this year (this was because I failed to lock down my site properly, and I had a motivated hacker who was familiar with the ins and outs of some WordPress plugins I was using), and for some reason, *some* people on Macs are having problems viewing those characters.

Strangely, most people see those characters just fine; and for the record, I think the ones displaying improperly are em-dashes (—), which are only used by typography nerds like myself :D

Andrew September 10, 2010

Venu September 13, 2010

Hello Chris-

Can we design each page with different page layout?

Example: Website consists of Home, Blog,Family,Friends and Contact pages. I would like to design Home page single column layout and Blog page 2 column and Family/Friends pages with 3 columns layout. Is this possible with Thesis Theme? If possible let me know how can we achieve this? Please respond.

Thanks in advance,
Venu

Susanna November 2, 2010

I need your help!!
I am using one of your themes on Word Press…and I’m a bit of a tech-tard (excuse the word if you find it offending) but I want to change the picture to make it look more ‘educational’…. I do have a site right now but I am a DEN blogger and need to update that particular blog and so that is why I am desperately trying to get it working…. I will pay you to help me and by the way- I do love the speed of your site!!! the site I am trying to change the header on is Teach & Tech w.tools… (don’t ask me how to find it as I don’t even know the url… told you…tech tard) My current blog that I am working with has too much of elementary feel… (I don’t want that much of an elementary feel to this…)

If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated…

Anhängerkupplungen November 11, 2010

Kisha August 18, 2011

It would be really great if I could share this error code I continue getting on Thesis. Each time I have to blow the theme away and restart. I’m not a techy though it’s likely a simple fix but was is line 934????

Michael October 15, 2011

What books or maybe magazines would you recommend to a relatively new coder?

Steve Shattow October 20, 2011

I’ve just started a Wordpress blog and started reading about Thesis. It would have been nice finding this before the 2 years I spent learning CSS, HTML, and Dreamweaver. My site has a boatload of navigation to a boatload of idx pages – I’m not sure how Thesis would handle this – or be a net advantage (the formatting is SWEET but I do a lot of copy and paste with slight modification – and I have about 1300 pages.) But the bottom line is that Thesis is making (and will continue to make) access to the web easier for people who are less techy and more content-focused. Nice system!